Thursday, September 06, 2007

Welcome to the First Day of Kindergarten


(ABOVE: Jaden with her backpack - heading into school on Orientation Day - 09.04.07)

(ABOVE: Jaden saying "CHEESE!")

(ABOVE: Having breakfast before heading off to school!)

(ABOVE: Out front of our house before heading to school)

(ABOVE: Jaden outside the main entrance to her school - Jeffer's Pond)

(ABOVE: Heading down the stairs!)

(ABOVE: Jaden in front of her locker)

(ABOVE: Jaden with her teacher Mrs. Alpaugh - it is the 1st day for BOTH of them!)

(ABOVE: Jaden and mommy on the 1st day of Kindergarten)

(ABOVE: Jaden sitting on the letter 'J' and waiting for the day to begin - she looks SO proud!)

(ABOVE: Ethan and Jaden on their 1st day of school)

(ABOVE: Jaden and daddy on the 1st day of school)

Well – it’s OFFICIAL! I am the mother of a Kindergartner. Jaden has started her trek through the next 12 years of school! I certainly don’t envy her for that!! (HEEHEE) Her day yesterday started with a homemade muffin for breakfast from our neighbor Sarah. She gobbled that up and packed her back pack with her lunch box and the pictures she drew for her teacher. She was very excited as we headed out the door to buy some purple flowers for Mrs. Alpaugh since that is her favorite color!! We parked on the upper level and walked into school – not without taking a “few” pictures outside first. No tears from mom … yet! Jaden walked down the stairs and headed towards her room for the very first time. She didn’t need any directions on how to get there and found her room without any help! I was impressed … since we’ve only been there 3 times to practice that! She walked into her room and said good morning to her teacher. She gave her teacher the purple flowers, a home made bracelet as well as her pictures she drew. Mrs. Alpaugh was very surprised!! Jaden hung up her back pack, put her towel and lunch box on her shelf and put her sneakers on the bottom shelf. I managed to get a few pictures inside her room – including one of her and her teacher. I was able to leave shortly after the other kids started to show up. Jaden gave me a hug and she sat on the letter “J” on the rug waiting for all the kids to arrive. I held it together until I got in the car – walking out the door the whole time looking behind me to see if she was following me … Nope! My monkey decided it was okay to stay without mom … WHAT!? I cried once I got in the car though! Is she really big enough to be starting school? Seriously – where did the time go to so fast? Why does it seem like an 8 hour work day takes FOREVER yet the past 5 ½ years seem to have FLOWN right on by! How did that happen? Where was I? I am *sure* I have a picture or two to prove I was there right?

I headed to work after dropping her off – I wasn’t going to head home, sit on the couch and wallow was I? Nope – but I could have floated in the pool and wallowed instead! Nope – I headed to work with the intent of leaving early enough to meet Jason at home so we could pick Jaden up together! We got there in time for her to be guided upstairs by her teacher … with smiles and smiles! She talked about her day and said she had Gym and Music on her first day. When we asked her what the best part of the day was she said (loudly) “LUNCH!” When we asked why she said it was because they had gym where they learned a new sport. The gym teacher lined the kids against the wall and when he said something that was a favorite thing of theirs they had to run to the other side of the gym. Well Jaden said he kept saying all her favorite things so she kept running. Then after gym they headed outside for a ½ hour of recess before lunch! So I am sure she was starving by the time lunch came around! She ate ½ of her sandwich, all of her sliced strawberries and her handisnack. She did forget to bring her lunch box home though. When I told her that she said it was okay because there was a restaurant at her school. That, of course, made me laugh. I told her she could buy lunch tomorrow if she wanted but she didn’t like the options so we packed a brown bag lunch! I am happy to say that she got the hang of it today and brought her lunch box home. She had another day of gym today and she said they played tag and it was a lot of fun. She also is leaning new sign language signs and showed those to Jason and I tonight.

I have gotten two emails from her teacher regarding the topics of the day as well as a question to ask your child about their day. Yesterdays question was “What is the Jeffer’s Pond quiet signal?” Jaden responded with her hand over her mouth and her arm raised high. She said that means you raise your hand to ask a question and don’t ask until the teacher calls on you. She has been raising her hand all night … at dinner tonight she raised her hand to ask for more rice. It was pretty funny. Today’s question was to ask your child what their lunch code is. Jaden wrote it down and told us what it was. She is pretty excited to use her code tomorrow when she buys her very first lunch at school. After dinner we talked more about her day, and then she showered and asked when it was bedtime. She is pretty tuckered out! Well Enjoy all the pictures … you know me … I take one or two!

Love ~ The Clark’s ~ Jason, Rebekah and Jaden TOO!

No comments: