Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Memories ...


(ABOVE: Happy Golden Birthday Jaden ~ 5 years old ~ Magic Kingdom)

(ABOVE: Jaden and her best friend Hannah ~ friends since they were 5 m onths old!)

(ABOVE: Jaden and Hannah ~ celebrating Jaden's 5th Birtdhay)

(ABOVE: 4th of July 2007 ~ 5 years old)

(ABOVE: Celebrating the End of Summer @ daycare ~ 4 years old)

(ABOVE: A walk down memory lane - Baby Jaden ~ 6 days old!)

(ABOVE: Jaden on a two wheel bike! Almost 4 years old)

(ABOVE: My pretty 4 year old)

(ABOVE: Happy 4th Birthday Jaden)

(ABOVE: Wearing swimmies with daddy in our pool - Summer 2006)

(ABOVE: Our Family ~ Ruth's Kris Steakhouse ~ 2006)

(ABOVE: Jaden and Mommy - Christmas 2004)

(ABOVE: Meet Harley the Puggle - Jaden's X-Mas Puppy)

(ABOVE: Happy 3rd Birthday Jaden~ Chuck E' Cheeses)

(ABOVE: Happy 3rd Birthday Jaden)

(ABOVE: Jaden and Mommy~ Summer 2006)

(ABOVE: Happy 1st Birthday Jaden)

(ABOVE: Jaden turns TWO!)

(ABOVE: "J" is for JADEN! Two years old)

(ABOVE: Jaden and Mommy making a wish on her Nemo Cake!)

(ABOVE: Jaden and her 1st Bike)

Thoughts from a mom who’s ‘baby’ is about to head off to Kindergarten … I know – pretty sad isn’t it? My daughter is oblivious to the fact that her mom is so sad that she is about to embark on her new life as a student. Not a student in daycare making finger paint masterpieces, instead a student that will learn new things that will shape the rest of her life. I find myself wondering why that makes me so sad. To tell you the truth I don’t know why it does; after all, I have been blessed and we are lucky to have a healthy child with the ability to live a normal life. There are so many people with other circumstances who wish they had the chance to be sad over something as “silly” as Kindergarten. I know that my thoughts to some may seem trivial but to me it is kind of like a whirlwind … actually it feels like a time machine. Spinning – Whirling – Jerking – Flipping – one day it was an icy day in March of 2002 and then next thing I know the Time Machine Door opens and it is September of 2007 and my little baby that snuggled on my shoulder now stands a whopping 47” tall and wears a size 12 shoe. It feels like I may have wished for things to be over because they seemed so hard to me at the time … I remember the first few weeks after Jaden was born. I would find myself crying every night over dinner. Just Jason and I with Jaden swinging nearby in her swing. I would just cry and say I wished I was still pregnant because it was SO much easier than having a baby to take care of. I mean let’s face it, a first time mom is caught off guard the minute her baby is born and you spend the first few months (even years) adjusting. It is hard. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but I enjoyed every minute of it and secretly wish I had another little baby here to take care of. But I don’t... My ‘baby’ is 5; well 5 and a ½ if you ask her.

She wears size 6 pants not those cute little 3-6 months onesies. She picked out a backpack that is almost as big as her instead of me carrying a diaper bag filled with formula, bottles, diapers and wipes. We went clothes shopping with her ‘girlfriends’ and picked out matching outfits instead of me buying frilly little dresses tights with ruffles on the bottom. We watch Hannah Montana instead of Elmo and Barney. She eats broccoli by the spoonful instead of mashed bananas and cheerios. We have complete conversations with each other about our days instead of me trying to figure out her baby talk. She rides a 2 wheel bike instead of me pushing a stroller. She takes showers with American Girl body wash instead of me giving her a bath with lavender scented baby wash. I could go on and on – and maybe I will. I think this is such a huge milestone for the both of us really.

I mean – a mom is supposed to be sad and happy on their child’s first day of school right? I am so very happy and proud of Jaden and all that she has learned already as a 5 year old. My days are numbered before she is smarter than me right? I have to say – this day came faster than I thought it would. I mean it was only 6 months ago that we were all in Disney World celebrating her Golden Birthday with the Princesses right? **BLINK** it is the end of a really GREAT summer here in Minnesota and New York. We enjoyed traveling, train rides, plane rides, bus rides, baseball games, dance recitals, swimming, Mall of America, The MN State Fair, Apple Picking and of course our very first broken bone and visit from the tooth fairy! It feels like just the other day that she got her very first tooth. **BLINK** the tooth fairy paid her a visit and left her a very nice thank you note and $5.00 (because she’s 5 Jaden said!) It also feels like just the other day when she learned how to walk. **BLINK** She was dancing on stage in front of proud families in her first dance recital. I remember her running around the house and me following her because I was afraid she’d fall down the stairs if the gate was left open. **BLINK** Instead she falls off the monkey bars at daycare and breaks her arm, yet another first. In my memory bank I recall many nights curled up on the couch with her on my lap reading Dr. Seuss’s Magilligot’s Pool. **BLINK** Now we lay in bed and she reads those same pages to her mom. I am pretty sure they’re memorized in her little head. I also remember when we went to Hannah’s 1st birthday at a local hotel and went swimming afterwards. She HATED the water and the whole idea of swimming. **BLINK** this summer she decided she didn’t need swimmies or a little ring to wear because she can touch the bottom of our pool. And when she can’t touch the bottom she jumps in and goes under anyhow.

I know I am probably boring you all … if any of you are actually reading this blog … if you are – THANK YOU! If you know me … I am sorry for blabbing so much! How about I end this post with some pictures of Jaden “Through the Years” … my baby is growing up – but she is and always will be my baby … I know Kindergarten will be wonderful for the both of us (heehee) … she will enjoy every minute of it and I will smile with her because I am so proud of her … Look for First day of School Pictures … coming soon!

God Bless!! The Clark Family ~ Jason, Rebekah and Jaden too!

1 comment:

Rita Thompson said...

Rebekah, I am so proud of you. What a great job you did on this blog. You are so right *blink* where does the time go. It seems like yesterday when I was preparing to take my baby girl to her 1st day of school. I am glad I was able to take a moment and read this, it put a major smile on my face. Laugh often, love a lot. That is the recipe we need to follow. Love Mom